A proclamation is an official document issued by the Volusia County Council to commemorate a specific time period (day, week or month) to raise awareness about an issue; celebrate milestones or community events; recognize heroic acts; or honor Volusia County individuals or groups who have made outstanding contributions to Volusia County.
- Proclamation requests must be submitted by Volusia County residents.
- Proclamations must be sponsored by an individual County Council member and approved by the Volusia County Council before they are issued.
- Proclamations are generally not presented during County Council meetings, but they may be considered on rare occasions.
- Proclamations may be presented off-site and, when possible, a County Council member will be scheduled to make the presentation.
- As an alternative, the County Council may choose to send a letter instead of a proclamation.
- When possible, we ask that requests be submitted at least three weeks in advance.
Proclamations typically are not issued for:
- Weddings, birthdays and family reunions
- Persons stepping down from advisory boards or committees
Requests that are advertisements, commercial or political in nature, or promote one religion over others will not be approved.
How to request a proclamation
Each proclamation must have a Volusia County Council sponsor. To request a proclamation, please contact the county chair, vice chair, at-large representative or your district representative:
For more information, contact Community Information Specialist Pat Kuehn at firstname.lastname@example.org or 386-822-5062, ext. 12934.
Proclamation requests awaiting approval
The Volusia County Council approved these proclamation requests during its Feb. 2 meeting:
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Day - Jan. 28, 2017
- Lucille Gutliffe Murray-Wheatley Day - Jan. 29, 2017
- Freemanville Day - Feb. 14, 2017
- New Smyrna Speedway Week - Feb. 16 to 25, 2017
The Volusia County Council will consider these proclamation requests during its Feb. 16 meeting:
- Tomorrow's Leaders Day - Feb. 16, 2017
- Orange City African American Heritage Festival Day - Feb. 25, 2017