A beach bonfire in a fire ring is a time-honored tradition for residents and visitors to enjoy. Fire pits are large cement rings in the sand for building a bonfire.
Volusia County's Beach Safety Division provides fire rings free of charge on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations for the fire pits must be made in advance; reservations for the next season will not be taken before Oct. 15.
Beach visitors are permitted to bring their own bonfire pit as long as it's not sea turtle nesting season. No permit necessary! All rules still apply.
The wood for the fire is not provided. The best type of wood to bring is unprocessed wood. Do not use discarded wood from household furniture with varnishes and paint, or wood containing nails.
Bonfire rings create instant gathering places for entertainment and sharing, which is why they are such a popular activity. They are only available during non-turtle nesting seasons (November through April). Reservations will not be taken after April 28.
Bonfire ring locations
Tom Renick Park
1565 Ocean Shore Blvd., Ormond Beach
Frank Rendon Park
2701 S. Atlantic Ave., Daytona Beach Shores
1080 N. Atlantic Ave., New Smyrna Beach
27th Avenue Beach Ramp
S. Atlantic Ave., New Smyrna Beach
Hiles Beach Ramp
700 Hiles Blvd, New Smyrna Beach
Reservations will not be taken after April 28
- You must be at least 18 to reserve a fire ring. A copy of a driver’s license is required.
- All debris (trash, unburned wood, etc.) must be removed at the conclusion of the event. Officers will inspect the sites each night, and violators will be required to return to the site to remove debris. The Beach Patrol reserves the right to deny future permits to persons who do not comply.
- All fires must be extinguished with water no later than 11 p.m.
- Plastic and foam may not be used as fuel.
- No more than one weekend reservation date at the same fire ring per month will be permitted.
- Beach Patrol can be contacted after hours by calling the dispatch 386-248-1777, then press (1).
- Bonfire agreement/Hold harmless form [PDF]
- Bonfire reservations can be made by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 386-239-6414.