There is no burn ban at this time in unincorporated areas of Volusia County and the municipalities of Lake
Helen, Oak Hill and Pierson.
If you live within the limits of another city, please contact your local fire department to learn if there is a burn
ban in your city.
When there is no burn ban in effect, outdoor burning is permitted in a non-combustible container or pile no larger than
eight feet in diameter.
Please observe these required setbacks:
- 50 feet from public roadways
- 25 feet from brush and wildlands
- 25 feet from your home
- 150 feet from other occupied buildings
You may burn yard trash (but not garbage or household paper products) if:
- No local ordinance prohibits such burning.
- You meet the required setbacks listed above.
- The fire is started after 9 a.m. and is out one hour before sunset.
- The pile is less than eight feet in diameter.
- The fire is attended at all times.
- The fire does not cause a nuisance.
If your fire escapes, you are liable for costs of suppression and damage to the property of others.
To obtain a burn permit, call the Florida Forest Service at 386-446-6787 or 386-446-6789.