International Coastal Cleanup
Event Date(s)Begins: September 18, 2021 8:00 am
Ends: September 18, 2021 11:00 am
Volusia County residents can participate in the International Coastal Cleanup at their choice of over 20 sites along the beach, Halifax River and Indian River from 8 to 11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 18. Volusia County’s Environmental Management Division is hosting the event.
Last year, over 943,195 volunteers around the world collected more than 20 million pounds of trash during the International Coastal Cleanup, which is sponsored by the Ocean Conservancy. Also in 2020, 936 Volusia County volunteers collected 3,257 pounds of trash during the cleanup. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the limited and socially distanced nature of the event, participation was lower than in previous years.
In addition to taking part in the annual cleanup, residents can help decrease marine debris simply by reducing the amount of waste and single use products they generate on a daily basis. Remember the motto, “Reduce and reuse, then recycle.”
Volunteers can register online at www.volusia.org/cleanup from Aug. 2 to 27. Participants are asked to bring garden gloves, drinking water in refillable bottles, and buckets for collecting trash. They should wear a hat, sunscreen, comfortable clothing and outdoor footwear. The first 1,500 preregistered participants will receive a token of appreciation after the event.
Beach cleanup sites include:
- Michael Crotty Bicentennial Park, 1800 N. Ocean Shore Blvd., Ormond-by-the-Sea
- Tom Renick Park, 1575 Ocean Shore Blvd., Ormond-by-the-Sea
- Birthplace of Speed Park, 21 Ocean Shore Blvd, Ormond Beach
- Andy Romano Beachfront Park, 839 S. Atlantic Ave., Ormond Beach
- Sun Splash Park, 611 S. Atlantic Ave., Daytona Beach
- Frank Rendon Park, 2705 S. Atlantic Ave., Daytona Beach Shores
- Van Avenue Park, 3101 S. Atlantic Ave., Daytona Beach Shores
- Winter Haven Park, 4589 S. Atlantic Ave., Ponce Inlet
- North Beach Community Park, Sapphire Road and North Atlantic Avenue, New Smyrna Beach
- Flagler Avenue Beachfront Park, 100 Buenos Aires St., New Smyrna Beach
- 27th Avenue Park, 3701 S. Atlantic Ave., New Smyrna Beach
- Mary McLeod Bethune Beach Park, 6656 S. Atlantic Ave., New Smyrna Beach
River cleanup sites include:
- Highbridge Road and Tomoka Loop pull-offs, 40 Highbridge Road, Ormond Beach
- Sanchez Park, 329 Sanchez Ave., Ormond Beach
- Sunrise Park North, 1135 Riverside Drive, Holly Hill
- Island Park, 105 E. Magnolia Ave., Daytona Beach
- Riverwalk Park, 3431 Ridgewood Ave., Port Orange
- Port Orange Causeway Park, 93 Dunlawton Ave., Port Orange
- Doris Leeper Spruce Creek Preserve, 6250 S. Ridgewood Ave., Port Orange
- George R. Kennedy Memorial Park, 103 N. Riverside Drive, Edgewater
- River Breeze Park, 250 H.H. Burch Road, Oak Hill
Some river locations have boat launches where participants are encouraged to bring their kayaks, paddle boards, canoes or motor boats (where appropriate) to access hard-to-reach coastlines.