Skip to main content
close icon

  COVID-19 (coronavirus) Update


Veterans Services

Eagle Image
Veterans are not a burden - they are our responsibility

Recording of Veteran Suicide Prevention: Strategies for County Leaders

The Nov. 9 NACo webinar on veteran suicide prevention provided vital information. We thank Volusia County Councilwoman Heather Post for moderating the webinar, along with speakers Barbara Van Dahlen, Chris Lukasevich and Shauna Rust.

Watch Recording

Veterans Services

Volusia County Veterans Services Division assists all former and present members of the Armed Forces and their dependents in preparing claims for compensation, pension, vocational training and other benefits and privileges to which they are entitled under federal and state laws and county regulations.

We encourage you to call our office to make an appointment to discuss your concerns with a Service Counselor.

In addition, you may also call the US Department of Veterans Affairs toll-free at 800-827-1000.

Volusia County has been designated as a Purple Heart County since 2018. This designation affirms that county government and the Veterans Services Division recognize those in our community who gave their lives or were wounded in combat defending our American freedom. 


For the safety of the community we serve and our staff:

 ALL Volusia County Veterans Services offices are available by office appointment, telephone appointment or walk in. 

 ALL Volusia County Veterans Services office lobbies are open, please respect social distancing restrictions.  

To schedule an appointment please call any of our office locations listed below.

Walk Ins available at ALL offices Monday through Friday from 8:00-11:00 am AND 1:00-4:00pm

In addition, you can email your questions or requests for information to and one of our staff members will respond. 

Please note: Florida has a very broad public records law. Most written communications to or from state/county officials regarding state/county business are public records available to the public and media upon request. 

PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL PERSONAL INFORMATION including your Social Security Number!

Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing. 

Office Locations:

DeLand:  (386)740-5102

123 W. Indiana Ave., Room 100, DeLand

Orange City: (386)775-5205

775 Harley Strickland Blvd., Suite 104, Orange City

New Smyrna Beach: (386)423-3324

 717 W Canal St., New Smyrna Beach

Daytona Beach: (386)254-4646

1845 Holsonback Drive, Daytona Beach


I just want a veterans ID card; how can I get one?

We do not issue veteran ID cards, the VA does through their website.

What should I expect/bring to my appointment?

All Volusia County Veterans Service Counselors are certified and accredited by the Florida Department of Veterans Affairs, and are all veterans themselves.

Expect to spend about an hour with one of our counselors in a private office setting. You will be interviewed to determine what benefits you may be eligible for.  If it is possible to take care of your needs by filing a claim or submitting forms that day we will do so. If further development is needed, you will be given “homework” and asked to come back.

Please bring the veteran’s DD214 (Certificate of Release of Discharge from Active Duty). If you do not have a DD214, we can assist you in obtaining one.  

If you have questions, it may be helpful for you to write them down and bring them to your appointment.

Am I eligible for any benefits?

You might be surprised! We encounter many veterans and surviving spouses of veterans who had no idea that they are eligible for monthly compensation from the VA.  Whether you were on active duty, the National Guard or Reserves the best way to find out is to come in to one of our offices as a walk in, or make an appointment with one of our Service Counselors (see Office Hours and Locations). 

You can also find general information on the US Department of Veterans Affairs website:

How do I check the status of my claim?

Call the US Department of Veterans Affairs at 800-827-1000


Come in to one of our offices as a walk in, or make an appointment with one of our Service Counselors (see Office Hours and Locations).

Can I call and talk to my Service Counselor? I just have a quick question…

Due to the personal and confidential nature of VA claims it is rare that any information can be given over the phone as all the information provided to the Veterans Services Division is protected in accordance with the Privacy Act of 1974, 4 USC 552a, 38 USC 7332, and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), implemented by 45 Code of Federal of Regulations Parts 160 and 164. Additionally, claimants’ files are exempt from disclosure under Federal Law and are kept confidential and discussed only with the claimant or designated representative, as indicated in the claimant’s file. There must be a current valid 21-0845 (Authorization to Disclose Personal Information to a Third Party) on file with Volusia County Veterans Services prior to discussing a veteran’s information with any outside party.

During business hours our Service Counselors are seeing clients and priority will be given to clients that are in our offices over returning phone calls. Our Staff Assistants are able to forward phone messages to Service Counselors, but the preferred way to speak to a specific Service Counselor is to go in to their office as a walk in, or make an appointment with them (see Office Hours and Locations).

How can I get a copy of my DD214?

You can obtain one through the National Personnel Records Center


 you can come in to one of our offices as a walk in, or make an appointment with one of our Service Counselors (see Office Hours and Locations) and we will assist you in obtaining one.

I got mail from the VA that I don’t understand, can you help me?

Absolutely! Please bring your mail in to one of our offices as a walk in, or make an appointment with one of our Service Counselors (see Office Hours and Locations).

Where can I drop off paperwork for my Service Counselor?

Clients attempting to leave documents will be politely asked to meet with a Counselor to ensure proper and timely processing. 

Documents are not to be accepted by Staff Assistants on behalf of Counselors unless the Counselor has alerted the Staff Assistant to accept material from a named individual.  

The Veterans Services Division can assist you with the following issues:

  • Appeals 

  • Agent Orange

  • Burial benefits

  • Camp Lejeune contaminated water

  • Dependents' Education Assistance

  • Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)

  • Disability Compensation (service related)

  • Disability Pension (non-service related)

  • Discharge upgrades

  • Education Benefits

  • Employment rights and benefits

  • Homes and domiciliaries

  • Home loans

  • Life insurance

  • Medical enrollment

  • Military Sexual Trauma

  • Overpayments

  • Veterans with PTSD

  • Vocational rehabilitation

How Can We Serve You?

 Questions about the vaccine? Visit

Contact Us

If you don't find what you're looking for you can reach out to us through our contact form. Thank you!

We use cookies to provide and improve our services. By using our site, you consent to cookies.