close icon

COVID-19 (coronavirus) Update. Stay informed with the latest information.


Frequently asked questions

Q. How do I get a county license tag for my pet?
A. Tags are sold by most veterinarian offices. Please see the listing for veterinarians in the yellow pages of your telephone book. License tags also are sold by the Volusia County Finance/Property Tax offices. Call 386-736-5938 in West Volusia; 386-254-4635 in Daytona Beach or 386-423-3322 in New Smyrna Beach. The charge for a tag is $12 for unneutered animals and $4 for neutered animals.

Q. My pet is lost. What do I do?
A. Animal Control will take a lost pet report so Animal Control officers will be aware of your lost animal. You also should call the West Volusia Humane Society in DeLand at 386-734-2450; the Southeast Humane Society in New Smyrna Beach at 386-428-9860 or the Halifax Humane Society in Daytona Beach at 386-274-4703.

Q. Who do I call to pick up a dead animal on the side of the road?
A. Dead animals on county roads are picked up by Volusia County's Road and Bridge Division. Call 386-822-6422 in West Volusia; 386-239-6535 in northeast Volusia; 386-668-4745 in DeBary and 386-424-2925 in New Smyrna Beach. For animals on state roads, call the Department of Transportation at 386-736-5270 in West Volusia or 386-254-3730 in Daytona Beach.

Q. Who do I call about a horse or cow running loose?
A. Call the Volusia County Sheriff's Special Services Division at 386-736-5333.

Q. Is there a leash law for dogs?
A. There is a control law for dogs, meaning the animal must be under physical restraint or verbal command when outside.

Q. My neighbor's dog barks all the time. What can I do?
Animal Control will investigate your complaint. However, we must have your name, address and the address of the barking dog before Animal Control can help.

Pet Vet Cruiser questions

Pet Vet Cruiser information

Q. Do you spay while the animal is in heat?
A. Generally, but the final decision will be made by our vet.

Q. Do you spay while pregnant?
A. Yes, typically only 30 days into pregnancy. The final decision will be made by our vet.

Q. Can I just get a rabies vaccine for my pet?
A. No.

Q. Can you do other vaccines?
A. No. However, we can give you the number of a local veterinarian.

Q. How old does my pet have to be to get spayed or neutered on the Pet Vet Cruiser?
A. 4 months to 8 years, health permitting.

Q. Can I put the pet in my friend/family member’s name so I may get the reduced fee?
A. No. Our fees are already set very low. The purpose of our discount is to help those who are economically disadvantaged.

Q. Are there any animal weight restrictions on the bus?
A. Due to space limitations, we may not be able to accommodate very large dogs. Please call our appointment scheduler to discuss availability on the bus for larger dogs, or to be provided a list of area vets who can provide this service.


    How Can We Serve You?

    Contact Us

    If you don't find what you're looking for you can reach out to us through our contact form. Thank you!

    123 W. Indiana Ave.
    DeLand, FL 32720
    (386) 736-2700

    We use cookies to provide and improve our services. By using our site, you consent to cookies.