Skip to main content
close icon

  COVID-19 Updates


Frequently asked questions

View of proper placement for garbage cans and recycle binsQ: What are the requirements for yard waste collection?

1. Yard waste must be placed at the collection point by 6 a.m. the day of collection.
2. Yard waste includes: grass, leaves, shrub and tree trimmings. Please contain all small debris (grass clippings, pine cones, acorns, spanish moss, pine straw, vines, palm tree "boots" from the trunk, etc.) either in plastic bags or in 32-gallon garbage cans.
3. Palm fronds and limbs need to be neatly stacked (no need for bundles). Limbs may not exceed 4 feet in length or 1 foot in diameter and must weigh less than 60 pounds.
4. Never place yard waste in the container provided by the county for garbage collection or in your recycle bins.
5. Yard waste will be picked up once a week up to the equivalent of eight 32-gallon containers not to exceed 4 cubic yards per week. You may call your garbage company or another authorized solid waste hauler to provide a special collection and disposal of additional debris.
6. The county's contracted garbage company is not responsible for land clearing debris. This also includes trees cut down or blown down from your property. You may contact them or another solid waste hauler to provide special collection and disposal.

Q: How much does the county charge for residential garbage collection?

A: As of Oct. 1, 2018, the annual cost of residential collection is $262.

Q: How am I charged for garbage collection?

A: The annual garbage fee is part of your property tax bill and is listed under the Non-Ad Valorem Detail section of the bill.

calendarQ: What are my collection days?

A: If you live in an unincorporated area of Volusia County, please call the Solid Waste Division at 386-943-7889 for your collection schedule.

Q: What are the operating hours for our residential waste hauler?

A: The regular operating hours for our residential waste hauler are 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Q: I just purchased a home in Volusia County. How do I start my garbage service?

A: Please contact the Solid Waste Division at 386-943-7889 for information regarding your service.

Q: When should garbage containers and recycling bins be removed from the curb?

A: According to Volusia County Ordinances, containers should be curbside no longer than 12 hours before collection and 12 hours after collection. A good rule of thumb is to put containers out no earlier than 6 p.m. the night before collection and to bring them in no later than 8 a.m. the day after collection.

Garbage container properly placed out to the curbQ: What if I have more garbage than will fit in my wheeled garbage can?

A: If carts are full, you may place excess refuse in uup to two (2)  32-gallon garbage cans next to the wheeled cart. For larger quantities, you may call your garbage company or another authorized solid waste hauler for estimated collection costs.

Q: Will the county provide a second wheeled garbage can?

A: At this time the annual garbage fee provides for one wheeled garbage can per residence. However, residents may contract directly with their waste hauler for a second wheeled garbage can. The garbage company charges a nominal monthly fee for providing a second container.

Q: What happens if my wheeled garbage can is damaged or stolen?

A: Any problems with carts should be reported to the Solid Waste Division at 386-943-7889.

Q: May I take the wheeled garbage can and recycle bins with me when I move, or use them at another property which I own?

A: No. Carts and bins may not be moved from the assigned property.

recycling properly placed at the curb for collectionQ: What is accepted in the curbside recycling program?

  • Glass - clear, green, amber, brown (please remove lids
  • Aluminum and steel cans
  • Plastics #1 and #2
  • Newspaper and inserts
  • Mixed residential paper
  • Books (please remove hard covers)
  • Magazines
  • Catalogs
  • Cardboard, including corrugated, cereal boxes and drink/snack boxes. Fold large cardboard boxes to 2 feet by 2 feet.

Printable brochure with more information

Q: Am I limited to two recycle bins?

A: No, not at all. Volusia County encourages recycling; therefore, residential curbside collection is unlimited.

Q: How can I recycle my shredded paper?

A: You can put shredded paper loose in your recycling bin. It is best to keep it down to about a third of the bin and to place other paper recyclables on top of it. This helps to prevent bits of paper from flying away during the emptying process. As you can imagine, the shredded paper tends to blow back out onto the road more than larger pieces of paper. If you have additional shredded papers, please place them in a paper bag and leave it on top of or between your bins. If you have a large amount of shredded paper, you can drop it off in the recycling area at the Tomoka Farms Road Landfill or West Volusia Transfer Station for free.

stack of various booksQ: How can I recycle books?

A: Soft-cover books can be placed in your curbside recycling bin along with your other paper products.
For hardcover books, remove the paper from the hardcover and binding/glue on the spine by cutting or tearing. The paper (pages) can be recycled in your curbside recycling bin along with your other paper products. The covers and binding will go into the garbage. This is easy to do for just a few books but for large numbers, you may want to consider the following options:
  • Donate them to your local public library.
  • Sell them to a local used book shop.
  • Donate them to at local charities, such as Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity.

Q: How do I get information about trash collection and disposal?

A: Please call Solid Waste Customer Service at 386-943-7889.

stove and microwaveQ: How do I get rid of large appliances?

A: Collection for “bulky” items is limited to four (4) pieces per week and includes: furniture, mattresses, appliances, carpet (carpet must be cut, rolled and tied (or taped) in bundles no greater than 4' x 8' and no more than 60 pounds in weight. Please keep carpet dry for collection), boxes of “junk”, tires (with or without rims), swing sets, water heaters, equipment or the like. Bulky items are collected on your regularly scheduled garbage collection day.

Q: How do I get rid of furniture?

A: Collection for “bulky” items is limited to four (4) pieces per week and includes: furniture, mattresses, appliances, carpet (carpet must be cut, rolled and tied (or taped) in bundles no greater than 4' x 8' and no more than 60 pounds in weight. Please keep carpet dry for collection), boxes of “junk”, tires (with or without rims), swing sets, water heaters, equipment or the like. Bulky items are collected on your regularly scheduled garbage collection day.

Q: How many large or "bulky" items can I have collected each week?

A: Up to four large or "bulky" items can be placed out for collection with your regular household garbage per week.

Q: What if I have construction and demolition debris or materials from a renovation project? Will this debris be collected curbside?

A: No. The county's contracted garbage company is not responsible for removal of construction debris or debris from home improvements. This includes (but is not limited to) tile, wood flooring, concrete, wallboard, aluminum siding, fencing, baseboards, insulation, drywall, lumber of any kind, shingles or other roofing materials, sliding glass doors, shower doors, shower surrounds, large pieces of glass or mirror, cabinets, vanities and countertops. You may contact the garbage company or another authorized solid waste hauler to provide special collection and disposal.

Q: I have cut up a tree in my yard, will the garbage company collect it?

A: The county's contracted garbage company is not responsible for collecting trees cut down or blown down from your property as part of your standard service. You may contact the garbage company or another solid waste hauler to provide pricing for special collection and disposal.

Q: What is Illegal Dumping?

A: Illegal dumping is the intentional dumping of solid waste on public or private property without the knowledge or consent of the property owner. It includes littering along road rights-of-way.

Q: Is it important to report Illegal Dumping?

A: Yes. There are many reasons why Illegal Dumping needs to be reported. When not addressed, illegal dump sites attract additional dumping. It is not only ugly, but harms our water sources. It may include hazardous wastes such as asbestos, household chemicals or paint. It may create traffic hazards when dumped within the right-of-way. Additionally, debris can block storm drains, causing flood areas.

Q: How do I report Illegal Dumping?

A: Please report illegal dumping and dump sites to Volusia County Solid Waste by calling 386-943-7889.

Q: Can I remain anonymous when I report Illegal Dumping?

A: Not in most cases.  Senate Bill 60 was signed and put into effect July 1, 2021, changing the state law to now require a person to provide his or her name and address when submitting a complaint, and any information you provide will become public record. The exception is if the code enforcement officer has reason to believe the violation presents an imminent threat to public health, safety, or welfare or imminent destruction of habitat or sensitive resources; in only those cases can complaints be made anonymously.

Q: What are your hours of operation?

A: The Volusia County Solid Waste Division operates in two separate locations. The West Volusia Transfer Station is open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays. The Tomoka Farms Road Landfill is open from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

Q: What forms of payment are accepted at the Transfer Station and Landfill?

A: Accepted methods of payment:
  • Cash
  • Credit/debit card (primarily MasterCard & VISA)
  • Monthly account customer – You can access the application here, or call 386-943-7889
  • Prepaid accounts – To set up an account, please call 386-943-7889

Rusted can of old unusable paintQ: How can I get rid of my old paint?

A: You can dispose of waste paint from your home by bringing it to the Household Hazardous Waste areas of the Transfer Station or the Tomoka Farms Road Landfill. Disposal is free to residents of Volusia County. No businesses, please.

Click here to find out more about household hazardous waste.

Q: How can I dispose of old alkaline and single-use household batteries?

A: Modern alkaline batteries do not contain heavy metals or other toxic chemicals. In Volusia County, they can be disposed of in your regular trash. This does not apply to rechargeable batteries of any type.

Approved red container for medical sharpsQ: How do I get rid of my medical sharps?

A: Medical Sharps are hypodermic needs, lancets used to prick fingers to test blood, etc. PLEASE DO NOT place sharps in your household garbage or recycling bin. Volusia County operates a free sharps disposal program for residents. As long as the sharps are in approved red containers, they may be dropped off at the Tomoka Farms Road Landfill Hazardous Waste Drop-off Center. There is no charge for this service. Due to worker safety policies, we are not permitted to transfer sharps from your container to ours. Again, this program is for sharps from private households only.
Additionally, the Florida Department of Health in Volusia County provides a sharps program for users of insulin and other injectable medications. Residents may drop off needles and diabetic testing strips in approved red sharps containers without charge at these Florida Department of Health in Volusia County offices:
  • 1845 Holsonback Drive, Daytona Beach 386-274-0694
  • 717 W. Canal St., New Smyrna Beach 386-424-2061
  • 775 Harley Strickland Blvd., Orange City
Sharps containers can be purchased in the Environmental Health offices.

Prescription bottle on it's side with pills spilling out on the tableQ: What should I do with expired or unwanted medications?

A: Expired or unwanted prescriptions and over-the-counter medications from households are accepted at the Household Hazardous Waste drop-off centers at the West Volusia Transfer Station and the Tomoka Landfill. Please follow steps 1-4 in these guidelines (Spanish version) before bringing medication to the drop-off centers. Additionally, medications can be disposed of in your household garbage as long as all seven steps included in the guidelines (Spanish version) are followed.
Additionally, the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office has a countywide program to help residents get rid of expired or unused medications. Volusia County residents may drop off medications from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at these sites:
  • 1706 S. Woodland Blvd, DeLand
  • 1200 Deltona Blvd, Suite 44, Deltona
  • 94 S. U.S. Highway 17-92, DeBary
  • 999 Third St, Holly Hill
  • 101 E. Canal St, New Smyrna Beach
Medicine will be sealed, transported to a secure evidence storage facility, and then sent out for destruction. If you live in Volusia County and are unable to get to a drop-off location, the Sheriff’s Office will send someone to your home to pick up your medicines. Call 386-822-5070 to arrange for pickup.

Rechargeable batteries in the chargerQ: How should I dispose of my old rechargeable batteries?

A: Old rechargeable batteries should NOT be placed in the trash or recycling bins. They should be taken to a facility that has a recycling program for recycling batteries. Volusia County's Household Hazardous Waste areas accept old rechargeable batteries from residences. Most stores that sell rechargeable batteries will also accept them for proper disposal.

Q: What should I do if I find a spot where illegal dumping has taken place?

A: Call the Volusia County Solid Waste Compliance Office at 386-943-7889.

Q: What should I do if I see someone in the act of illegally dumping on the right of way or on private property?

A: If possible, get a description of the person(s) involved, the vehicle and the license tag number. Detailed information is vital if charges are to be made. Then contact the Volusia County Compliance Office at 386-943-7889. We do not recommend confronting anyone who is illegally dumping.

Broken glass thermometer with mercury leaking outQ: What do I do if I break a device containing mercury, such as thermometers, thermostats, and fluorescent lamps?

A: Please look at the EPA’s information on spilled mercury.

Q: What do I do with this old mercury?

A: It is surprising how much "old mercury" private residents bring in. It is brought to the Household Hazardous Waste areas in pill vials, baby food jars, mayonnaise jars and a multitude of other containers. DO NOT handle liquid mercury. Keep it in a leak-proof container and place the container in two zip-lock bags. Residents of Volusia County can dispose of mercury at either of the Volusia County Household Hazardous Waste Centers.

Single compact fluorescent light bulbQ: What is the problem with old fluorescent light tubes and compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs)?

A: Fluorescent bulbs are a great way to save energy - they use 25 percent less energy than incandescent bulbs, but they contain mercury, a toxic substance that needs to be disposed of properly. The new "green" fluorescent tubes contain less mercury than other tubes; however, they still should not be disposed of in a landfill. Residents can bring their fluorescent tubes or CFLs to either of the Volusia County Household Hazardous Waste Centers. From there they are shipped to a recycling facility where the mercury is safely recovered for reuse. Home Depot and Ikea stores have programs that accept CFLs.

Q: Where can I recycle used electronics?

A: Unwanted and obsolete electronics (including computers, monitors, printers, stereo equipment and televisions) are commonly referred to as e-scrap or e-waste. Private residents can bring their e-waste to either of the Volusia County Household Hazardous Waste Centers.

stack of old computer towers, monitors, keyboards and power cords

Collection points are at:

  • Tomoka Farms Road Landfill, 1990 Tomoka Farms Road, Port Orange
  • West Volusia Transfer Station, 3151 E. New York Ave., DeLand

Q: What if my unwanted items are still usable and in good condition?

A: Put your old stuff to good use -- reuse! Sometimes, in our haste to dispose of unwanted items such as books, furniture, appliances or electronic equipment, we forget that these items can be reused. Many charitable organizations and nonprofit groups operate shops that accept these materials if they are operable.
To find additional reuse and recycling opportunities in your area, consult the following links. If you do not find any collection events listed for your area or if you have additional questions, please contact Volusia County Solid Waste at 386-943-7889.
The Electronics Industries Alliance (EIA) Consumer Education Initiative is a web-based resource that provides information about reuse and recycling opportunities for used electronics. These opportunities include state and local collection programs, charitable organizations, and recyclers that accept used electronics. The information can be sorted by state and county and includes a section on national programs. EIA is a national trade organization representing more than 80 percent of the electronics industry.
Earth 911 is nonprofit organization that maintains a website with community-specific information on reuse and recycling opportunities. These opportunities include state and local collection programs, charitable organizations, and recyclers that accept used electronics. The website is sorted by ZIP code and includes resources with information about electronics recycling and the environment.
TechSoup offers information on reuse and recycling electronics for the general public, including tips for donating computers, frequently asked questions about computer reuse and recycling, and lists of recyclers and refurbishers.
eBay's Rethink Initiative offers a fresh perspective on the challenge of e-waste, with information, tools and solutions that make it easy to sell, donate, or recycle used computers and electronics.
Computers for Schools works to place refurbished computers into our nation's schools and educational institutions.
Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Associationand its member organizations educate the public on the options available for properly recycling used wireless devices and the efforts made within the industry to improve the recyclability of products. The program promotes the collection of used wireless devices and lists members that collect devices for recycling.
The Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation (RBRC) can help you recycle your portable rechargeable batteries. These batteries are commonly found in cordless power tools, cellular and cordless phones, laptop computers, camcorders, digital cameras, and remote control toys. RBRC recycles the following battery chemistries: Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd), Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH), Lithium Ion (Li-ion) and Small Sealed Lead (Pb).

Q: What is NOT accepted at the Volusia County Household Hazardous Waste Centers?

  • Dioxins
  • Biologically active material
  • Radioactive material
  • Explosives

Q: Is recycling really worthwhile?

A: According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, recycling is one of the best environmental success stories of the late 20th century. Recycling, which includes composting, diverted 83 million tons of material away from disposal in 2008, up from 15 million tons in 1980. Recycling turns materials that otherwise would become waste into valuable resources. Collecting recyclable materials is just the first step in a series of actions that generate a host of financial, environmental and societal returns. There are several key benefits to recycling:
  • Protects and expands American manufacturing jobs and increases America's competitiveness in the global marketplace.
  • Reduces the need for landfilling and incineration.
  • Saves energy and prevents pollution caused by the extraction and process of virgin materials and the manufacture of products using virgin materials.
  • Conserves natural resources such as timber, water and minerals.
  • Helps sustain the environment for future generations.

Learn more about the benefits of recycling.
Recycling not only makes sense from an environmental standpoint, but also makes good financial sense. For example, creating aluminum cans from recycled aluminum is far less energy-intensive, and less costly, than mining the raw materials and manufacturing new cans from scratch. Because recycling is clearly good for human health, the nation's economy, and the environment, many people wonder why the federal government does not simply mandate recycling. The primary reason is that recycling is a local issue—the success and viability of recycling depends on a community's resources and structure. A community must consider the costs of a recycling program, as well as the availability of markets for its recovered materials. In some areas, not enough resources exist to make recycling an economically feasible option.

Q: Why do plastics have a recycling symbol and number on them if they can't be recycled?

A: All plastics are technically recyclable but, even if an item has a recycling logo on it, it might not be accepted by local recycling companies due to high processing costs and lack of markets.
The number inside the recycling arrows on many plastic items generally identifies the type of resin used in making the product. However, some items with the same number inside the arrows cannot be recycled together because they are manufactured using a different heating and molding process. (For example, markets that accept No. 1 plastic bottles don't want No. 1 plastic cups.) This is why we don't take Styrofoam or plastic retail carry bags as recycling.

    How Can We Serve You?

    Contact Us

    If you don't find what you're looking for you can reach out to us through our contact form. Thank you!

    We use cookies to provide and improve our services. By using our site, you consent to cookies.