Overview and guidelines
- Garbage pick up is once a week in the proper container provided by the County’s contracted Garbage Company. If carts are full, you may place excess refuse in a 32-gallon garbage can to be placed next to the cart. For larger quantities you may call your Garbage Company or another authorized solid waste hauler for estimated collection charges.
- If you would like an additional 95-gallon container you may contact your Garbage Company at 386-248-3988 and contract for this service. The cost of this service is $5.00 per month.
- Garbage, recycling and yard waste must be placed curbside no later than 6AM the day of collection.
- Garbage, recycling and yard waste should be placed no more than 10 feet from the road per Volusia County Ordinance § 106-103(d)(1).
- Debris & containers can be placed at the collection point NO MORE than 12 hours prior to collection and must be removed within 12 hours after collection per Volusia County Ordinance § 106-103(d)(5).
- The County’s contracted garbage company is not responsible for construction debris or debris from home improvements. This includes tile, wood flooring, screening, concrete, wallboard, drywall, lumber of any kind, pallets, aluminum siding, fencing, baseboards, insulation, shingles or other roofing materials, sliding glass doors, large pieces of glass or mirror, shower doors, shower surrounds, cabinets, vanities & countertops. You may contact your Garbage Company at 386-248-3988 or another authorized solid waste hauler for estimated collection charges to provide special collection and disposal. DO NOT place commercial debris curbside for residential collection.
- Carpet must be cut, rolled and tied (or taped) in bundles no greater than 4’ x 8’ and no more than 60 pounds in weight. Please keep the carpet dry for collection.
- Collection for “bulky” items is limited to four (4) pieces per week and includes: furniture, mattresses, appliances, carpet, boxes of “junk”, tires (with or without rims), swing sets, water heaters, equipment or the like. Volusia County is divided into four (4) bulk waste collection zones. Each of those zones will be collected once a week for “bulky” items. Collection must be scheduled at least 24 business hours in advance by calling Volusia County Solid Waste at 386-943-7889. Once you have scheduled collection simply place your debris at the curb by 6AM on your normally scheduled bulk waste collection day.
- Recycling pick up is once a week. Recycling collection is unlimited and uses a dual-sort system. In one bin place your paper materials, which include: newspapers, newspaper inserts, junk mail, magazines, mixed office paper, phone books, corrugated cardboard, cereal boxes, snack boxes, beverage cartons. Cardboard boxes need to be broken down and flat. Larger cardboard items must be cut or folded into pieces no larger than 4 feet by 4 feet.
- In a separate bin place your glass, aluminum, steel and plastic items. Glass recyclables include jars and bottles - green, amber and clear. Aluminum, metal beverage and food cans are accepted. Aerosol cans also may be recycled, but be sure they are empty. Remove plastic tips and tops before recycling. Plastic recyclables include plastic containers coded 1 and 2. Remove all caps and lids before recycling.
- Additional and replacement bins will be delivered upon resident request. Please call 386-943-7889 for bins.
- DO NOT place Styrofoam or plastic bags (Publix, Wal-Mart, Newspaper sleeves) in recycling bins. They are not included in the curbside recycling program.
- Yard waste pick up is once a week. The weekly collection allowance is the equivalent of eight 32-gallon containers, not to exceed four (4) cubic yards.
- Yard waste collection includes: grass, leaves, yard rakings, shrub and tree trimmings. Please contain all small debris (rakings, grass clippings, acorns, pine cones, spanish moss, etc.) either in plastic bags or in 32-gallon garbage containers. Containers and bags must weigh less than 60 pounds apiece.
- Palm fronds and limbs need to be neatly stacked (no need for bundles). Limbs may not exceed 4 ft. in length or 1 ft. in diameter and must weigh less than 60 pounds apiece.
- You may call your Garbage Company at 386-248-3988 to provide disposal of additional debris at a cost of $10.00 per cubic yard for collection and disposal. You may also contact any other authorized solid waste hauler for estimated collection charges to provide special collection and disposal of additional debris.
- Never place yard waste in the container provided by the county for garbage collection or in your recycle bins.
- The County’s contracted garbage company is not responsible for land clearing debris. This includes trees cut down or blown down from your property. You may contact your Garbage Company at 386-248-3988 or another authorized solid waste hauler for estimated collection charges to provide special collection and disposal. DO NOT place commercial debris curbside for residential collection.
- Garbage companies don’t pick up Hazardous Waste, such as: car batteries, all automobile related liquids or parts, engine degreaser, metal cleaners, hobby chemicals, rechargeable batteries, lighter fluid, varnish, wood/cement sealers, paint, paint thinner, turpentine, acetone, acid, lye, fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, insect repellents, flea dips & sprays, rodent bait, rat poison, mothballs, fluorescent tubes, spiral, and compact bulbs, mercury thermometers or thermostats, pool or spa chemicals, bio-hazardous waste, sharps (needles), etc.
- Please bring all of these items - with the exception of bio-hazardous waste – to the Household Hazardous Waste site located at the Tomoka Landfill or the West Volusia Transfer Station.
- Disposal of bio-hazardous waste can be coordinated with your local Health Department.
- If you have any questions, concerns or experience any problems with your service, please call Volusia County Solid Waste and Recycling at 386-943-7889.