New Smyrna Beach ISBA
On April 1, 2020, the City of New Smyrna Beach and their contracted hauler Waste Pro will begin providing solid waste collection services to unincorporated areas within the greater New Smyrna Beach area. This change in service provider is as a result of an agreement executed between the City of New Smyrna Beach and Volusia County in 2013 referred to an Interlocal Service Bounty Agreement.
Beginning April 1, 2020, residents in the Interlocal Service Boundary area will have garbage, bulk items, recycling and yard trash collected by Waste Pro.
New Solid Waste & Recycling Collection Guidelines Flyer (effective April 1, 2020)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will I be able to keep my current 95-gallon garbage container?
No. Volusia County Solid Waste will collect the county owned blue 95-gallon garbage containers after Republic Services final service collection scheduled for March 26 and March 27, 2020. Please leave the empty containers curbside for timely collection.
- Does the City of New Smyrna Beach provide garbage containers?
No. Residents will need to provide their own garbage container(s) that are no more than 32-gallons in capacity.
- What about my recycle bins?
You should continue to use the County recycling bins. If you need replacement bins please call Waste Pro at 386-424-1850.
- What are the operating hours for the waste hauler for the City of New Smyrna Beach?
Collection times are 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- How many times a week will my garbage be collected after April 1, 2020?
Garbage collection will be two (2) days per week and limited to two (2) 32-gallon containers per collection day.
- Does the City of New Smyrna Beach collect recycling?
Yes. Recycling collection will be one (1) day per week. Recycling collection for the City of New Smyrna is collect in a single stream.
- Will I have yard waste collection?
Yes. Yard waste collection is one (1) day per week and is limited to two (2) cubic yards per week.
- What if I have a large quantity of yard waste to be collected?
Large quantities of yard waste requiring the use of the hauler’s claw truck need to be scheduled directly with Waste Pro by calling 386-424-1850.
- Will I still have bulk waste collection?
Yes. Bulk waste will be picked up on the same day as garbage. Residents are encouraged to place bulk waste out on the second pickup day of the week.
- Will the method of payment for garbage service change?
- How do I currently pay for garbage service?
If you are located in the unincorporated areas of Volusia County the annual garbage fee is part of your property tax bill and is listed under the Non-Ad Valorem Detail section of the bill.
- How will I be charged for garbage service after April 1st?
A monthly residential collection charge of $21.14 will be added to your utility bill provided by the New Smyrna Beach Utilities Commission beginning with the April 2020 billing cycle.
- Will I get a refund on the fees I paid on my property tax bill?
No. Residents affected by this change were charged a prorated amount on their tax bill that only charged for service through March 31st so no refund is necessary.
For further information and questions regarding the upcoming service change, please contact the City of New Smyrna Beach at 386-424-2212.