A proclamation is an official document issued by the Volusia County Council to commemorate a specific time period (day, week or month) to raise awareness about an issue; celebrate milestones or community events; recognize heroic acts; or honor Volusia County individuals or groups who have made outstanding contributions to Volusia County.
- Proclamation requests must be submitted by Volusia County residents.
- Proclamations must be sponsored by an individual County Council member and approved by the Volusia County Council before they are issued.
- Proclamations are generally not presented during County Council meetings, but they may be considered on rare occasions.
- Proclamations may be presented off-site and, when possible, a County Council member will be scheduled to make the presentation.
- As an alternative, the County Council may choose to send a letter instead of a proclamation.
- When possible, we ask that requests be submitted at least three weeks in advance.
Proclamations typically are not issued for:
- Weddings, birthdays and family reunions
- Persons stepping down from advisory boards or committees
Requests that are advertisements, commercial or political in nature, or promote one religion over others will not be approved.
How to request a proclamation
Each proclamation must have a Volusia County Council sponsor. To request a proclamation, please contact the county chair, vice chair, at-large representative or your district representative:
For more information, contact Community Information Specialist Pat Kuehn at firstname.lastname@example.org or 386-822-5062, ext. 12934.
Proclamation requests awaiting approval
The County Council approved these requests during its April 3, 2018, meeting:
- Women's History Month - March 2018
- Parliamentary Law Month - March 2018
- Eagle Scout Japheth Samuel Eckhardt Day - March 24, 2018
- Eagle Scout Samuel Garrett Rowan Day - March 24, 2018
- Lieutenant Caleb Nathaniel King Day - March 24, 2018
- Vietnam War Veterans Day - March 30, 2018
- Forough Hosseini Day - April 3, 2018
- John C. Hitt Day - April 5, 2018
- Wildfire Awareness Week - April 8 to 14, 2018
- Public Works Week - May 20 to 26, 2018
The County Council will review these proclamation requests during its April 17, 2018, meeting:
- Telecommunicators Week - April 8 to 14, 2018
- Whisperwood Veterans Plaza Day - April 28, 2018
- Guillian-Barre Syndrome Awareness Month - May 2018
The County Council will review these proclamation requests during its May 1, 2018 meeting:
- Purple Heart County - May 1, 2018
- Travel and Tourism Week - May 6 to 12, 2018
- Correctional Officers and Employees Week - May 6 to 13, 2018
- Teacher Appreciation Week - May 7 to 11, 2018
- Florida Law Enforcement Memorial Day - May 18, 2018
- Memorial Day - May 28, 2018