Burn bans and burn permits
Volusia County does not have a burn ban in effect.
If you live within the limits of another city, please contact your local fire department to learn if there is a burn ban in your city.
When there is no burn ban in effect, outdoor burning is permitted in a non-combustible container or pile no larger than eight feet in diameter.
Please observe these required setbacks:
- 50 feet from public roadways
- 25 feet from brush and wildlands
- 50 feet from your home
- 150 feet from other occupied buildings
You may burn yard trash (but not garbage or household paper products) if:
- No local ordinance prohibits such burning.
- You meet the required setbacks listed above.
- The fire is started after 9 a.m. and is out one hour before sunset.
- The pile is less than eight feet in diameter.
- The fire is attended at all times.
- The fire does not cause a nuisance.
If your fire escapes, you are liable for costs of suppression and damage to the property of others.
To obtain a burn permit, call the Florida Forest Service at 386-585.6151