Skip to main content
close icon

  COVID-19 Updates


Frequently Asked Questions

Thank you Veterans

Volusia County Veterans Services does not issue veterans ID cards. You can obtain a veterans ID card through the VA website.

All Volusia County Veterans Service Counselors are certified and accredited by the Florida Department of Veterans Affairs. They are also veterans themselves.

Expect to spend about an hour with one of our counselors in a private office setting. You will be interviewed to determine what benefits you may be eligible for. If it is possible to take care of your needs by filing a claim or submitting forms that day, we will do so. If further development is needed, you will be given “homework” and asked to come back.

Please bring the veteran’s DD214 (Certificate of Release of Discharge from Active Duty). If you do not have a DD214, we can assist you in obtaining one.  

If you have questions, it may be helpful for you to write them down and bring them to your appointment.

You might be surprised! We meet many veterans and surviving spouses of veterans who had no idea that they are eligible for monthly compensation from the VA. Whether you were on active duty, the National Guard or Reserves, the best way to find out is to come in to one of our offices as a walk-in, or make an appointment with one of our Service Counselors. (See Office Hours and Locations.) 

You can also find general information on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website:

There are four ways you can check the status:

Due to the personal and confidential nature of VA claims, it is rare that any information can be given over the phone as all the information provided to the Veterans Services Division is protected in accordance with the Privacy Act of 1974.

During business hours, our Service Counselors are meeting with clients, and priority will be given to clients who are in our offices over returning phone calls. Our Staff Assistants are able to forward phone messages to Service Counselors, but the preferred way to speak to a specific Service Counselor is to go into their office as a walk-in or make an appointment with them. (See Office Hours and Locations.)

There are two ways you can get a copy of your DD214:

Absolutely! Please bring your mail in to one of our offices as a walk in, or make an appointment with one of our Service Counselors. (See Office Hours and Locations.)

Clients attempting to leave documents will be politely asked to meet with a Counselor to ensure proper and timely processing. 

Documents are not to be accepted by Staff Assistants on behalf of Counselors unless the Counselor has alerted the Staff Assistant to accept material from a named individual.  

All Volusia County Veterans Services offices are available by office appointment, telephone appointment or walk-in.

How Can We Serve You?

Contact Us

If you don't find what you're looking for you can reach out to us through our contact form or call us at 386-736-2700. Thank you!

We use cookies to provide and improve our services. By using our site, you consent to cookies.