Skip to main content
close icon

  COVID-19 Updates


Cleaning up after the storm

The Volusia County Council and Volusia’s cities will determine if storm debris can be picked up within normal collection schedules. After a severe storm, residents should follow regular service schedules and watch for service changes published in the local news media. Residents of unincorporated Volusia County and most cities may minimize yard debris prior to the storm with weekly yard trash collection.

Storm debris should be prepared for pickup as quickly as possible since special collection may be available only for a limited time. After the designated time, debris will be the responsibility of the property owner.

Volusia County Debris Management Plan [PDF]

Please separate storm debris into these categories:

Household garbage
Perishable items, such as food and normal household waste, will be collected by your regular garbage
service provider. This type of garbage will have priority service. Service may be interrupted due to road closures. Normal recycling collection will resume as soon as possible, but all other services have priority.

Yard debris
All yard waste must be placed on the right of way. To increase recycling of leaves, plants and small branches, these items should be contained in a waste can. Palm fronds and limbs should be stacked. Tree limbs must be less than four feet long, 12 inches across or 60 pounds. Larger tree sections/limbs may be collected as expanded service after a declared disaster.

Construction debris bulk items
Storm damaged bulk items, such as large furniture and materials relating to building construction, may be collected as an extension of service. Construction debris is not included in normal collection service.

Household hazardous materials
Separated household hazardous waste is accepted at the Tomoka Landfill in Port Orange and the West Volusia Transfer Station in DeLand, free for Volusia County residents during normal work day hours. Household cleaners, old oil-based paint cans, fuels, fertilizers, solvents and cleaners must be separated from your regular garbage and debris because they have specific disposal requirements. Please contact your local government agency or Volusia County's Solid Waste Division for information.

Volusia County Solid Waste
Emergency telephone numbers are listed here.

100 hundred-year flood plain
If you live in or near the 100-year flood plain, your house may flood during heavy rain. Homeowner insurance policies do not cover flood-related damages. Consider purchasing flood insurance to protect your home and its contents.

For more information, please contact your insurance agent.


How Can We Serve You?

Contact Us

If you don't find what you're looking for you can reach out to us through our contact form or call us at 386-736-2700. Thank you!

We use cookies to provide and improve our services. By using our site, you consent to cookies.