Do not approach the scene of a hazardous materials accident or incident. If a hazardous materials emergency occurs:
Protect your breathing
- Cover your nose and mouth with a damp handkerchief or a large wet bath towel or cloth.
Shelter in place
- Go inside and listen to your local radio or television stations for further instructions.
- Close all doors and windows. Use masking tape or damp towels to seal the openings.
- Turn off all heating, cooling and ventilation systems.
- Do not use fireplaces. Put out any fire. Close the dampers.
- Do not go to school to pick up your children. They will be safe with the school officials who are prepared to take care of them.
If told to evacuate
- Gather your emergency supplies, turn off lights and household appliances.
- Leave your refrigerator and freezer on.
- Move to the place designated by public authorities. Keep your vehicle's vents and windows closed. Do not use the heater or air conditioner. Drive carefully.