Beach information for the disabled
For persons needing assistance, beach wheelchairs are available for use from any of the four lifeguard stations. There is a limited supply, and they are available first come, first served at no charge. People can check them out from a lifeguard station and use them for a couple of hours, depending on the waiting list. The beach wheelchairs are available at the following lifeguard stations:
• Flagler Avenue, New Smyrna Beach
• Dunlawton Avenue, Daytona Beach Shores
• Beach Headquarters, Daytona Beach
• Cardinal Avenue, Daytona Beach
Physically challenged beach patrons displaying a handicap insignia in their vehicles will be permitted to park adjacent to the east side of the established traffic lanes. Vehicles with a handicapped ID are admitted to the beach free.
East side parking is allowed only when tides permit.
Vehicles must display clearly a DMV issued handicap plackard.
Due to extreme congestion, east side parking is not to be permitted in these areas:
- from the Silver Beach approach to the University Beach approach in Daytona Beach
- from Crawford Avenue approach to the Third Avenue approach in New Smyrna Beach.
"Handicap Parking Only" spaces are provided at all lifeguard stations with the exception of the North County Lifeguard Station at 1665 Ocean Shore Blvd. (Roberta Road Cross Street) in north Ormond Beach.