Human Services provides a variety of assistance programs, each with unique eligibility criteria and required documentation. Dependent upon the type of assistance you may be seeking, please open a document to learn about eligibility and documentation requirements. Eligibility and documentation requirements are the same throughout all four offices.
Required documentation for all services:
- Social security card, income tax statement, or social security award letter exhibiting all nine numbers. This is required for all persons. If a child is 60 days or younger and does not yet have a social security number the guardian must show proof of infant's name and date of birth via hospital discharge paperwork.
- A driver's license, Florida ID card, or U.S. Passport for all persons who are 18 years of age or older. Documentation must not be more than one year expired.
- A birth certificate, immunization record (DH-680), driver's license, Florida ID card, or U.S. Passport for all persons who are 17 years of age or younger. A student ID card will not be accepted. If a child is 60 days or younger and guardians have not yet received the birth certificate they must show proof of infant's name and date of birth via hospital discharge paperwork. Documentation must not be more than one year expired.
- Proof of Volusia County residency via a valid lease, property tax statement, or mortgage statement. The name of at least one adult in the household must be on the document. If additional household members are present but not listed on the document the head of household will need to complete one of the supplemental forms found below. Likewise, if a person's name is on the document but is no longer residing in the household then there is also a supplemental form. Note- if your household is receiving a Section 8 voucher or on public housing you must produce the HUD- 50059 Utility Allowance Worksheet form. You may obtain a copy of this document through your housing authority case worker.
- Proof of all household income for all members received within the previous 30 days from date of application. This may include but not limited to paystubs, social security award letter, disability award letter, retirement/pension, and child support. Bank statements and digital screenshots are not accepted. A household member who is 18 years of age or older who has not received any income within the previous 30 days must complete and sign the self-declaration of income form found below.
- If your household receives SNAP then you will also need to submit the award letter exhibiting your current monthly benefit amount.
Documentation based upon program:
- Utility (electric, propane, and gas) assistance- The most recent statement/bill must be provided. Applicants must bring the statement/bill with them. If applying for LIHEAP HOME Energy Credit a past-due balance is not required. If seeking a deposit the applicant must have already established an account number with the utility company.
- Rental assistance- A past-due or eviction notice from the landlord. The notice must be official and contain the tenant's name, address, and the amount the tenant is delinquent. The amount in arrears may not exceed more than three times the regular monthly rental obligation. If an eviction has already been filed through the courts assistance may not be provided.
- Mortgage assistance- the mortgage statement must reflect a past-due balance. The amount in arrears may not exceed more than three times the regular monthly payment due to mortgagor.
- Water assistance- The most recent statement/bill must be provided. The statement/bill must exhibit a past-due balance of $600 or less. If seeking a water deposit the applicant must have already established an account number with the water company.
- Prescription assistance- A valid prescription which meets guidelines.
- VOTRAN tickets- Proof of a doctor's appointment within a week at time of application.
A household must be at 150% or below the federal poverty guidelines to qualify for assistance. The income threshold is dependent upon the number of persons residing in a household.
- One person: $19,140
- Two people: $25,860
- Three people: $32,580
- Four people: $39,300
- Five people: $46,020
- Six people: $52,740
- Seven people: $59,460
- Eight people: $66,180
- Note- for each additional person in the household after eight add $6,720.
Persons seeking utility assistance (electric, gas, fuel, or propane) may apply online at www.volusia.org/hsapply or schedule an interview with a case worker by calling 386-239-7757. For rent, mortgage, or water assistance a phone appointment with a case worker may be scheduled by calling 386-239-7757. A person seeking prescription assistance may apply in-person at any office location or schedule an appointment with a case worker by calling 386-239-7757.